UTGamers.com Forum Index

metallica - live in theaters: the big four
Moderators:  UTG Mods
Forum index » General Public » News/Stories/Articles
Reply to topic
ZERO
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2010 02:48:11 pm    Post subject: metallica - live in theaters: the big four Reply with quote

i've been hearing about this for a few days and am seriously considering checking it on next week. there are 4 or 5 theaters showing it locally in my area live on the 22nd, and two showing the rebroadcast thrusday the 24th.

here's the offical website: THE BIG FOUR, LIVE!

Quote:
The Big Four: Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax - broadcast via satellite to select movie theatres Tuesday, June 22

For one night only, metalheads around the world can experience history: On Tuesday, June 22, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax perform on one stage together, and through the wonders of satellite technology, you can be part of this historic concert event, broadcast exclusively to select movie theatres around the world. Beyond the limited European festival dates, there are no additional tour dates planned for this extraordinary line-up.

they have tickets on sale, it looks to be worldwide, for the broadcast. so unless you're in europe, there is 0% chance of seeing the show as it doesn't look to be a US leg to the tour.

here's a PROMO VIDEO for the even on youtube.

anybody else thinking about checking this out?

PS: picked up my tickets just now for me and the Mrs. to go to the show. gotta work the next day, or supposed to at least, so we'll see if i can get up at 445AM to get in to the office. may be a good time to have a vacation day.

Twisted Evil

ZERO

Phy
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010 10:22:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody listen to Slayer or Anthrax anymore? I listen to a little Megadeth for (strangely) the rock and roll rebellion of somebody (Dave Mustain?) who seems to be writing from a perspective that is both Christian and Conservative. Other than Metallica, are any of the three other groups still relevant?

Johne (Phy) Cook | Overlord, Ray Gun Revival
ZERO
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010 12:08:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phy wrote:
Does anybody listen to Slayer or Anthrax anymore? I listen to a little Megadeth for (strangely) the rock and roll rebellion of somebody (Dave Mustain?) who seems to be writing from a perspective that is both Christian and Conservative. Other than Metallica, are any of the three other groups still relevant?

lol. personally i have never really listened to slayer or anthrax. of course i've heard some of the more popular songs from each band, but haven't ever really been what one might call a fan of either.

i'm most interested in seeing megadeth and of course metallica. it may be a bit like sitting through the opening band at a concert - in past experiences, the opening band is typically pretty shoddy and it's just an endurance test while you're waiting for the main act. you sit and talk with your friends and anticipate how awesome the headliners are going to be.

all in all, getting to see the whole show, even if it was only megadeth and metallica for $15 isn't bad. especially considering that back around '95 i payed somewhere in the range of $80 to see metallica live, and i'm sure tickets are even higher now. plus, this way you get a nice comfy chair and the abililty to get up and take a break during the opening acts and not lose your spot in the mosh pit, errr...arena style theater seats. Razz

ZERO

ZERO
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010 01:57:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the show was great last night. the theater wasn't that busy, maybe 50 people - which i can understand. a 4 hour "film" that starts at 730PM on a thursday night is pretty rough. i walked in the door about midnight and had to get back up for work at 445am - so needless to say i'm f'n tired.

all in all the show was great. the order of appearance was:

1. anthrax
2. megadeth
3. slayer
4. metallica

i thought anthrax sounded great and put on a great show. fantastic.

megadeth was great too but i was having trouble hearing dave's vocals at times - not sure what the deal was, could have just been the audio mixing. it was raining during a good portion of megadeth's set, which was really freaking cool. and by raining i mean a torrential downpour.

slayer was really good too. their show was just freaking relentless - all out all the time. they had the wall of marshall cabinets set up on stage (only 4 of which were mic'd - 2 on each side of the drum riser), so needless to say they were blisteringly fast and loud, which is just the way you want it. lots of slayer fans in the crowd, it looked like it got really rowdy.

metallica was great as well. of course if you've seen metallica it was, well metallica. nothing particuarly phenomeinal but still a good show. they had the pyrotechnics and fireworks stuff going, and the huge jumbotron screen behind them - it was really cool. they did a lot of the old stuff and only 1 song from the post "black album" era: cyanide - from death magnetic. no song appearances from load, reload, or st anger.

as i posted before, they closed the show out with a 3 song encore. the first song was 'am i evil' which they performed with all the other bands on stage with them - however, i didn't see anyone from slayer on stage except the drummer (weird).

they also went in to the way back machine and did 'hit the lights' which sounded great. then they closed with another track from kill 'em all, seek and destroy.

overall great show and well worth the price of admission. and as mentioned above as well, lars thanked everyone at the end of the show for helping film the upcoming big 4 dvd, so everyone will have a chance to check it out on video.

Cool

ZERO

ZERO
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010 01:58:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's some info i found on the upcoming dvd/blu ray:

THE BIG FOUR DVD/BLU RAY RELEASE

Wink

ZERO

sphinx{+EIG+}
Rampage
Rampage

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2010 04:28:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZERO wrote:
metallica was great as well. of course if you've seen metallica it was, well metallica. nothing particuarly phenomeinal but still a good show. they had the pyrotechnics and fireworks stuff going, and the huge jumbotron screen behind them - it was really cool.

Ugh I hate it when bands are like that, where if you take away all the effects it would be a boring show. I toured with a band called Red last summer who puts on the most incredible live performances and they have literally been denied from tours because the main artist they would of been with (I won't name names lips sealed) would of looked awful following them, being completely serious lol.

But to get back on topic I think that's pretty sweet how they did that, hope they do it for more shows because if a band I loved was playing would have 0 problems paying 15 dollars to see them live if they're not in town or I don't have the money for the live experience.
ZERO
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2010 12:34:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sphinx{+EIG+} wrote:
Ugh I hate it when bands are like that, where if you take away all the effects it would be a boring show.

it wasn't quite that bad. if you would have taken everything away it still would have been a great show. the pyro was at the introduction to "one", so it wasn't random fireworks and flames like you'd expect to see at a kiss concert. lol.

it may just be that i'm a bit jaded and it would take a whole lot to impress me with a metallica show. i've seen them live one time back in 95 when they were touring around the time of "load", and it was a great show. and in the time since i've seen them i've heard so much metallica music, albums, live stuff, etc... it was just like seeing all of that again. don't get me wrong, it was great, but it was the same. i also own the dvd 'metallica: cunning stunts', which is a live show from dallas that was filmed around the time i saw them here in houston. it's a great show, but once you've heard the same 10-12 songs 1000 times (live or studio) you just don't get the same thrill. i imagine though if i was in the front row at the actual concert it would have been a different story - it's tough not to really get in to the energy at a great live show.

on a similar note, i've seen tool around 6 times or so and have never felt the same since of "eh?" at one of their shows. if anyone has ever seen them you'll know what i mean. the stage show changes (for the most part) from tour to tour, and the setlists, arrangements, and visuals are always in motion - great stuff.

sphinx{+EIG+} wrote:
I toured with a band called Red last summer who puts on the most incredible live performances and they have literally been denied from tours because the main artist they would of been with (I won't name names lips sealed) would of looked awful following them, being completely serious lol.

i hear ya man. that really sucks. hopefully they'll get a break though - i know there are a lot of great bands out there (*cough* edge *cough*) that keep knocking on the door with a record label but for whatever reason just haven't had a big chance. see perv, i told you you should have taken that mexico tour with the scorpions. Razz

ZERO

Forum index » General Public » News/Stories/Articles

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]