2009 iranian prez election
Moderators:  UTG Mods
Goto page:  1, 2, 3 Next
Forum index » General Public » Politics
Reply to topic
PERverSIAN
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 04:00:11 pm    Post subject: 2009 iranian prez election Reply with quote

please please please please please get rid of the current clown. this is such a pivotal election in history. i pray so muc hthat iran and the rest of the world will get along soon.

mousavi is ahmadinejad's big rival (ahmadinejad means "ass clown" and is the literal translation of his name). mousavi was the prime minister before they dropped that poistion from the gov't and he ackowledges the holocaust and wants to make things right again. maybe this movement will a huge underminig of the supreme leaders role as well....

artile @ Yahoo ---> ARTICLE

Quote:
By NASSER KARIMI, Associated Press Writer Nasser Karimi, Associated Press Writer – 18 mins ago
TEHRAN, Iran – Iran's raucous election campaign fell silent a day before the vote as rallies were barred Thursday to give the public time to reflect on whether they want to keep hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in power or replace him with a reformist more open to closer ties with the West.

The campaign reached a crescendo in the past few days with dueling rallies by supporters of Ahmadinejad and his main challenger, Mir Hossein Mousavi, that drew tens of thousands into the streets of Tehran. Fervent, youthful supporters of Mousavi accused the president of undermining Iran's international standing with his confrontational style and of devastating the economy.

The stakes are extremely high for Iran — the new leader must decide how to respond to President Barack Obama's offer for dialogue after a nearly 30-year diplomatic chill. The Obama administration is cautiously watching the vote for signs the Islamic Republic may be willing to engage, but U.S. officials have meager expectations for change.

Tehran residents went about removing posters and banners from buildings and cars as campaigning officially ended early Thursday. State media and the candidate's Web sites encouraged people to vote on Friday.

"I ask people to go to polling stations in early hours of voting, otherwise in the latter hours stations will be crowded," said the head of election headquarters, Kamran Daneshjou, according to the state news agency, IRNA. About 40,000 polling stations are set to open at 8 a.m. Friday.

On Thursday, the Interior Ministry issued a statement asking people to report any voting violations to their local governors' offices. Daneshjou also said violations should be reported and that the headquarters will allow about 110,000 representatives of the candidates to be present in the stations nationwide.

Mousavi's official Web site also urged people to inform his campaign office of any irregular voting. The Web site provided a list of possible violations, including the existence of extra ballots, campaign materials at polling stations and organized harassment.

"We wish you victory by electing Mir Hossein Mousavi and saving the country from the current situation," the Web site said.

The country's Basij paramilitary corps also encouraged people to vote to annoy the enemies of Islam — an apparent reference to the United States. The Basij, which is often involved in crackdowns on dissidents, was key in helping Ahmadinejad win in 2005.

"The people of Iran will choose someone who will resist bullying of those who are arrogant and defend Iran's interest in the world," the corps said in a statement, according to IRNA.

In the final hours of the fierce contest, Mousavi got a sharp warning from the country's powerful Revolutionary Guard that authorities would crush any attempt at a popular "revolution" inspired by the huge rallies and street parties calling for more freedoms.

The threat Wednesday reflected the increasingly tense atmosphere surrounding the up-for-grabs election. It also marked a sharp escalation by the ruling clerics against Mousavi's youth-driven campaign and its hopes of an underdog victory.

The Revolutionary Guard is one of the pillars of the Islamic establishment and controls large military forces as well as a nationwide network of militia volunteers.

The message from the Guards' political chief, Yadollah Javani, appeared aimed at rattling Mousavi's backers just before the polls open Friday and to warn that it would not tolerate the formation of a post-election political force under the banner of Mousavi's "green movement" — the signature color of his campaign.

In a statement on the Guards' Web site, Javani drew parallels between Mousavi's campaign and the "velvet revolution" that led to the 1989 ouster of the communist government in then-Czechoslovakia, saying "some extremist (reformist) groups, have designed a colorful revolution ... using a specific color for the first time in an election."

Javani called it a "sign of kicking off a velvet revolution project in the presidential elections," and vowed any "attempt for velvet revolution will be nipped in the bud." It also accused the reformists of planning to claim vote rigging and provoke street violence if Mousavi loses.

The all-night street rallies and the joyful campaign of Mousavi's supporters have rekindled the passions and hopes of reformists after Ahmadinejad's victory four years ago. Their calls are similar to the days of reformist President Mohammad Khatami — more social freedoms, media openness and outreach to the West.

The election outcome will have little direct impact on Iran's key policies — including its nuclear program or possible talks with Washington — which are directly dictated by the ruling Islamic clerics. Still, the president has influence over some domestic affairs, such as the economy, and serves as Iran's highest-ranking envoy on the international stage.

Ahmadinejad is believed to have wide support in the Revolutionary Guard and among Iran's ruling clerics, though neither have given public endorsements in a presidential race that has seen the sudden and unexpected rise of Mousavi, who served as prime minister in the 1980s.

Mousavi has accused Ahmadinejad of attempting to whitewash the scope of Iran's problems, which include double-digit inflation and chronic unemployment and criticized the hard-line president for blackening Iran's international reputation by questioning the Holocaust and calling for Israel's destruction.

Two other candidates are in the race: former Revolutionary Guard commander Mohsen Rezaei and former parliament speaker Mahdi Karroubi. In the increasingly tight race, their level of support could play a swing role — with Rezaei expected to draw conservative voters and Karroubi pulling in moderates.

jesterx99 wrote:
i agree with Perv,

jesterx99 wrote:
ALL YOUR MOM'S ARE BELONG TO ME!!!
ZERO
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 05:13:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw a little about this on the news. the young iran is really pushing hard for change. and ack-man-inajad isn't what they want. now will the elections actually be fair? i guess we'll see, but i know the US and iran seem to both want the change.

Cool

ZERO

CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009 12:08:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2009 iranian prez election Reply with quote

PERverSIAN wrote:
maybe this movement will a huge underminig of the supreme leaders role as well...

How do you figure? All candidates must be approved by Khomeini. If it actually proved a threat to his power, they wouldn't be seeing the light of day in the first place.

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i just put aftershave on my nuts
PERverSIAN
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009 11:50:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2009 iranian prez election Reply with quote

CloakedKilla wrote:
PERverSIAN wrote:
maybe this movement will a huge underminig of the supreme leaders role as well...

How do you figure? All candidates must be approved by Khomeini. If it actually proved a threat to his power, they wouldn't be seeing the light of day in the first place.

this is true actually. he must approve your bid....but CK i will say this. regardless of anything...if mousavi does get elected, that would undermine the supreme leader. you cant cage 75% of the population (all under age 30) 53 million people. that would the start of a revolution...again

maybe im too optomistic, but i just want iran and the US to be friendly. like anything else, old habits die hard. they just live longer in iran i guess

jesterx99 wrote:
i agree with Perv,

jesterx99 wrote:
CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009 01:42:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a step as Mousavi is seen as the reform candidate...my question is simply how significant will it be?

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
PERverSIAN
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2009 12:57:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Zero...i guess the voting is not as fair as most would hope ... you were right

talked to my cousins....man people are pissed off. they are saying everyone they talk to voted mousavi. they say pople are very very angry about the total misrepresentation of what the citizens stand for.

this is a sad day in iranian history and i can totally see huge riots. this may be revoution version 2.0

Rolling Eyes

jesterx99 wrote:
i agree with Perv,

jesterx99 wrote:
CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2009 04:59:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PERverSIAN wrote:
well Zero...i guess the voting is not as fair as most would hope ... you were right

talked to my cousins....man people are pissed off. they are saying everyone they talk to voted mousavi. they say pople are very very angry about the total misrepresentation of what the citizens stand for.

this is a sad day in iranian history and i can totally see huge riots. this may be revoution version 2.0

Rolling Eyes

It really is a tragedy. Internal exit polling done by the Mousavi camp had him a clear winner. Apparently the official tally is quite the opposite. I'm reading that a lot of media services that the Mousavi campaign used extensively have mysteriously been down since the night before the election - text messaging services, campaign web sites, etc. All, also, mysteriously services run by the state.

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
ZERO
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009 11:36:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad tragic. i saw on the news as well that it was a "landslide victory" for the incumbent. however, based on all the news coverage, interviews, and exit polling as CK pointed out, it was a victory in the other direction. i guess we'll see what happens now, but i know the people of iran are definitely making their disapproval heard. it is good to know, at least, that the young majority want to see change and are making their voices heard regarding what they feel is a shady election process.

ZERO

CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009 01:23:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still convinced you will see a lot of opening up in Iran in the next decade or two, especially as the old fundamentalists die off and more young voters take to the polls.

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009 08:48:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the powers that be over there, namely the "supreme leader" ayatollah, have miscalculated beyond their comprehension -- with so many conflicting reports between the "official" take on things vs the overwhelming man-on-the-street views, it seems at the very least they should have taken a little time if for no purpose than to at least fake like they were doing a proper job. with the massive turnout, estimates were that it would take *at least* 24 hours to count all the ballots, but somehow late that night they were able to state with certainty that their dude won in a landslide. mmmhhhmmm. and then the ayatollah came out and endorsed the results, as if that was going to just brush it away -- problem solved, right? i don't know anything about what people there think, but if anything i'd have to assume that the ayatollah and anyone remotely in-charge has to have lost a great deal of credibility with the people... maybe?

My heroes have always been cowboys.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave... and keep on thinking free

The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.
WK
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2009 12:11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blutarsky wrote:
i think the powers that be over there, namely the "supreme leader" ayatollah, have miscalculated beyond their comprehension...

...i'd have to assume that the ayatollah and anyone remotely in-charge has to have lost a great deal of credibility with the people... maybe?

INFIDEL!!!

You know Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump. Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and he won a ping-pong competition? That ain’t retarded.

You went full retard, man. Never go full retard.
Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2009 01:31:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WK wrote:
INFIDEL!!!

Mr. Green

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave... and keep on thinking free

Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 04:21:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and now they ban all international media from covering the mess -- it's like they're following the "10 most obvious things NOT to do" playbook...

ZERO
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 11:20:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blutarsky wrote:
and now they ban all international media from covering the mess -- it's like they're following the "10 most obvious things NOT to do" playbook...

lol. Laughing

certainly threatening anyone who sends out information about the election via online media won't draw attention or continued protest.

IRAN'S REVOLUTIONARY GUARD WARNS ONLINE MEDIA <--- article on yahoo.com

ZERO

Phy
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 08:52:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this one?

Profile: The Kid at the State Department Who Figured Out the Iranians Should Be Allowed to Keep Tweeting

Quote:
Cohen was only 24 when he was hired into the Policy Planning Staff back in 2006. He'd received an undergraduate degree from Stanford and a master's degree from Oxford, where he'd been on a Rhodes Scholarship. Oh, and he'd also talked his way into a visa for Iran (according to a December 2007 New Yorker profile), where he met young people his own age who threw underground house parties and made alcohol in bathtubs.

"Iranian young people are one of the most pro-American populations in the Middle East," Cohen told the New Yorker. "They just don't know who to gravitate around, so young people gravitate around each other."

Johne (Phy) Cook | Overlord, Ray Gun Revival
Forum index » General Public » Politics

Page 1 of 3 [37 Posts]
Goto page:  1, 2, 3 Next