UTGamers.com Forum Index

Owners drop "Freedom Tower" name for new WTC skyscraper
Moderators:  UTG Mods
Forum index » General Public » Politics
Reply to topic
Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2009 11:42:33 pm    Post subject: Owners drop "Freedom Tower" name for new WTC skyscraper Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/27/no.freedom.tower/index.html
Quote:
Owners drop Freedom Tower name for new WTC skyscraper

The agency that owns the space where the World Trade Center towers stood is freeing itself of the term "freedom" to describe the signature skyscraper replacing the buildings destroyed on September 11, 2001.

The change from Freedom Tower was revealed Thursday at a news conference where the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey announced the signing of the first commercial lease in the building to a Chinese company. The building is expected to be completed in late 2013.

seriously -- sign first chinese tenant and also happen to drop "freedom" from name at same time... coincidence? pffft.

My heroes have always been cowboys.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave... and keep on thinking free

The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.
Phy
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2009 09:17:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. If they were calling the WTC towers WTC towers, but the name was going to be the Freedom Tower, I have no problem reverting to calling the WTC towers WTC towers. Wink

Freedom Tower also struck me as artificially trendy anyway, going along with Freedom Fries. I have no heartburn with this.

Johne (Phy) Cook | Overlord, Ray Gun Revival
Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2009 04:49:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally have no issue with the final "chosen" name -- but the timing of it, happening to coincide with the communist tenants, i find it absurd.

My heroes have always been cowboys.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave... and keep on thinking free

The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.
CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2009 12:13:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blutarsky wrote:
i personally have no issue with the final "chosen" name -- but the timing of it, happening to coincide with the communist tenants, i find it absurd.

China is far from being a communist country anymore. Over 2/3 of China's GDP comes from open market sources. Now take that and consider that in America, if you combine government spending on all levels federal to municipal, it accounts for 30% of our GDP.

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i just put aftershave on my nuts
Maverick
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2009 02:39:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloakedKilla wrote:
Blutarsky wrote:

China is far from being a communist country anymore. Over 2/3 of China's GDP comes from open market sources. Now take that and consider that in America, if you combine government spending on all levels federal to municipal, it accounts for 30% of our GDP.

Economically they may not be Commy's, but politically they are. Who will win, the government or the economy? The $ always wins. They'll stop being communists soon enough, but as of this moment in time, Bluto's right.

Nemo me impune lacessit
CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2009 12:01:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maverick wrote:

Economically they may not be Commy's, but politically they are. Who will win, the government or the economy? The $ always wins. They'll stop being communists soon enough, but as of this moment in time, Bluto's right.

Communism is a system of economics, not a political system.

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i just put aftershave on my nuts
Forum index » General Public » Politics

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]