"budget" vid cards...
Moderators:  UTG Mods
Goto page:  1, 2 Next
Forum index » UT Gaming » UT3 Chat
Reply to topic
Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2007 08:52:02 am    Post subject: "budget" vid cards... Reply with quote

wondering what "not top of the line" vid cards people have that are playing ut3 and getting good results. don't respond if you're using a killer pc with $300+ plus vid card cause that's not what i'm looking for. no bragging about your killer boxes please Wink

for reference, i have:

* athlon 64 3200+
* 1gig ram
* geforce 6600gt (128meg)
* i run win xp pro

i will be buying an additional 1gig of ram. i'm still looking at getting a new processor (my board will accept some dual core procs, but i'm unsure if the gaming performance will be worth the investment now -- plus i'm inclined to just try a new vid card and more ram and see if that's "good enough").

i almost bought a BFG 8800gt earlier, but then i started to get cold feet (it was out of stock online, then i found it in stock a while ago). it's $250+ and i'm not sure for my machine it's worth it. oh, forgot to mention, i'll be running in 1280x1024 max res since that's what my lcd's are at.

i started looking at the evga 8600gt, which can be had for ~$100 which is a much friendlier price. but then again i'm not sure if that'll be enough.

for all intents and purposes, this is my "work machine" so it's primarily for coding and browsing, etc... but since i don't have a dedicated gaming box right now i want to use it to play ut3. in perhaps 6 months or so i'll likely be sinking some money into a new gaming rig (assuming ut3 doesn't suck). SO at that point i can look into a better, killer vid card.

okay -- so enough rambling.

what are you guys with relatively modest vid cards using and how does it work with the new game (and perhaps some other recent games) ??

My heroes have always been cowboys.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave... and keep on thinking free

The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.
TAZTG
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2007 04:10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8800GT is a very nice card. There are 256MB and 512MB Versions. The 256MB can be purchased for a mere $209.00.

I was playing UT3 with the 7900 GTO perfectly fine. Good Luck with the Upgrades.

TAZTG CASE MODS
Fragman
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2007 06:51:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Forsa 8600GT 256 ram for 159$ cdn. I woulda got the 8800 512 but couldn't afford at the time, so I am going to Dual my 8600 in the near future. Apparently the dual pci express will give you 30% performance increase. As well the 8600 is DX10 ready. Good bang for your buck. None the less just remember if you use a high resolution do your best to get a 512 + ram'd card as these go hand in hand.

rontu88@hotmail.com
Burnout
Killing Spree
Killing Spree

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2007 01:42:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know too much about the NVidia cards as this 8800gtx is my first one ever, but is your 6600gt a PCI-X card or AGP?

Is it better or worse than an ATI Radeon x800XT AIW (agp) card?

I haven't used the x800xt to play UT3, but if it's better than what you got and it will get you playing UT3, you can have it.

If not, then I'll just keep it for spare parts down the road.

MeRkAbA
UTGamer
UTGamer

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2007 03:55:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife just bought me a 8800 GTS SSC for xmas, only ran ~$360 with 640mb, pretty nice deal if you ask me.

Rest your trigger on my finger
Maverick
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2007 05:21:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Tears? I miss her!!

Nemo me impune lacessit
Undaunted
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007 03:36:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a 8600GT, and with ut3 running with settings at high i get around 30 fps, but i'm also running it at a crippling resolution at 1680x1050, wide screen. Running it at the resolution you want makes this puppy run, no problem. Oh did I mention it's a laptop videocard? Meaning a desktop version of 8600GT would be even more powerful - just how it works.

2k3 > 2k4

The world is small nasty and complicated and everybody dies alone
Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007 04:48:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to update the thread when i ordered it, but i decided to buy an 8600gt for now. an opportunity to upgrade came along and i'm seriously thinking about just building a new system in a month or two so i decided to save some money for that and get a card "for just a while" on this box now. the 8600's price point sealed the deal. so i should have the 8600, an extra gig of ram, and ut3 ready to go on christmas day. i even already downloaded the patch so i'm good to go Wink

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave... and keep on thinking free

Undaunted
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007 05:52:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blutarsky wrote:
i even already downloaded the patch so i'm good to go Wink

LOL, itchy Razz

8600gt is good.

2k3 > 2k4

The world is small nasty and complicated and everybody dies alone
Burnout
Killing Spree
Killing Spree

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2007 02:02:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear it!

Fragman
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2007 04:12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blutarsky wrote:
forgot to update the thread when i ordered it, but i decided to buy an 8600gt for now. an opportunity to upgrade came along and i'm seriously thinking about just building a new system in a month or two so i decided to save some money for that and get a card "for just a while" on this box now. the 8600's price point sealed the deal. so i should have the 8600, an extra gig of ram, and ut3 ready to go on christmas day. i even already downloaded the patch so i'm good to go Wink

Yup you'll do well with it. I run it on my 5000+ dual 64 bit & Gigabyte board with 2 gig ram, can't wait till I get 2 more gig and dual my 8600 as well..... *GREED* Razz

rontu88@hotmail.com
jesterx99
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008 06:30:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is UT3 playing on everyone else's machine? I don't know if it's because I'm playing a laptop, or if it's Vista, or what. But I've got dual 512mb GeForce Go 7950GTX... 4gig Ram (2.6gb read by 32bit Vista) and a decent mobile processor... but when I play UT3, I have to play on the lowest settings to get decent frame rates. So what's everyone else's fps? Just curious. I mean I know this game is a graphic whore, but still curious.

Course I've been working on getting the right drivers since only recently has Vista gained the ability to support SLI... so that has been a long process.

Thinking of sending the laptop back to Alienware and having it upgraded to the new 512mb 8800m. maybe that'll help out with UT3 having a DX10 card.

Thanks...
Fragman
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008 05:53:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added another 2gig ram totaling 4gig now and I haven't noticed an increase in frames but it does seem to run smoother in the yellow frame rate count. next buy will be the dual 8600, i would of had it now but the store I bought the original at needs to order it in, it's made by Forsa. This doing is supposed to give me 30% increase in performance so I hoping it will run me averaging 50+ frames @ 1680x1050 all settings maxed out. right now i'm maxed and averaging 25-35 fps seemingly smooth.

rontu88@hotmail.com
Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008 06:43:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know running at "maxed out" is nice and all, but when you're really playing and not just running around the map for a nice look, i like playing with a lot of the "flash" turned off. once i tweaked mine and got back to a minimalist detail (by no means ugly at all, it's still pretty), the game plays so much better. and i know i have a lot more fun when i can hit people instead of my machine framing and missing lips sealed

of course, i haven't played in several days cause i've been sick... but one of these days i'll get time again Wink

CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2008 01:18:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pick up a Geforce 7900GS for $80-$90 if you look in the right places. Got one on Ebay for $75 about a month ago for a computer I built for a friend. Have one in my computer as well. I run 32 bit at a 1440 x 900 resolution with medium details and get good framerates. Rarely drops anywhere below 30 fps.

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i just put aftershave on my nuts
Forum index » UT Gaming » UT3 Chat

Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]
Goto page:  1, 2 Next