6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

Phy
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008 05:30:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloakedKilla wrote:
I think the holiday can be celebrated even without a specific focus on Christ...IMO, a display of his basic teachings (charity, kindness to your neighbors, solidarity among people, etc) is just as important as "the birth of Christ". Of course I take an extremely liberal and open view of the Bible, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Wink

Though, either way you look at it (as a celebration of the birth of Christ or just a time of peace and kindness - or both) it's being eroded. People are being trampled and killed at Wal-Mart by selfish morons trying to get the best deals. I heard a woman at a register the other day YELLING at the cashier because they ran out of some kind of dumb ass toy and now "Christmas is ruined for her daughter" (apparently that individual cashier manages the entire inventory). But that's what happens when a society becomes too individualistic.

Setting aside party-line tangents, I really appreciate your post, Brett. Christmas has been bastardized from a selfless to a selfish holiday. I applaud your willingness to find a central good in a holiday where many or most seem bent on missing the freaking point. I think we have common ground on this point.

I think Christmas may be one of the hardest holidays for Christians to celebrate with any grace. If this is a holiday being eroded, we hold much of the blame for not demonstrating a better way in a winsome fashion. Instead, we are as guilty as anyone for falling for total commercialization. I know this is the hardest time of year for me personally to try to maintain an other-centric perspective. I've been one of the schmucks at Black Friday in years past, and while I appreciate the value of a good deal, I've never felt so emotionally pinched as when there are masses of people jockeying for more stuff. I convinced myself I was noble for getting up and braving the crowds for deals, but I was fooling myself. It's better for me (and those I am around) to spare myself that scene if I can help it.

It is gratifying to see that some others still see some merit at this time of year.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays (I enjoy both sentiments!).

Johne (Phy) Cook | Overlord, Ray Gun Revival
Forum index » General Public » Polls

Page 2 of 2 [16 Posts]
Goto page:  Previous  1, 2