UTGamers.com Forum Index

ack! issues!
Moderators:  UTG Mods
Goto page:  Previous  1, 2
Forum index » UT Gaming » UT Archives » UT Chat
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
CallaO
Killing Spree
Killing Spree

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 08:10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fragman wrote:
CallaO wrote:
People have forgotten about the old hardware! Razz

and software..... but it's time for change... pc's have been laggin in production lately... and now there's gonna be a big gold rush again like the millenium turn.... the pace has slowed down imo... needs a kick in the assssskyalater. heh
money grubbin whores..... its like comparing 333 ram --> 400 ram theres hardley a difference, but people who went throught the 333 phase upgraded boards and went 400... Confused Confused dollars dollars!

Yeh....lol....assssskyalater Razz Razz

Admit it,admit that I owned you

CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 09:06:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fragman wrote:
and software..... but it's time for change... pc's have been laggin in production lately...

I don't know if you mean processors or PCs in general, but there's a reason for the lag in processor production. Simply put, we're nearly at the physical limitations for silicon. Once we reach it, the only thing we can do to make them faster is up the cache and find out better cooling methods. Confused

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i just put aftershave on my nuts
Techslacker
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 09:29:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not true. Upping the cache offers little in the way of performance increases typically unless they also make low level changes to the cpu architecture to take advantage of it but it does depend on what the system will be doing. Cooling is always an issue but only in the scope of cost and the size and ventilation of the system.

There are many other advancements though that are being made to address this perceived holdup in performance. For starters multi-core cpu's are gaining ground. Features such as hyperthreading while not all that beneficial now will come into play more as systems and operating systems become more advanced to take advantage of it.

We might even see more in the way of things coming full circle like things typically do in the computer world. Back in '85 the world saw the Amiga computer with dedicated chips to offload tasks from the cpu. We may yet see more of this. nvidia and ati have already made strides in moving that direction as well as creative with audio. Cost is the issue here though.

Last but not least we have storage and access speeds. HD's are incredibly disappointing in speed when you compare the item to most other products in a computer system in how they've scaled in speed over the years.

All in all though the real trick is going to be increasing the perceived speed to where only the hardcore users will know with typical consumer hardware that the speed isn't where they want it to be. OS advances will play a role.

Back on the cpu front look for some breakthroughs to take place in getting a better handle on electrical leakage. There is still room to breathe but the manufacturers underestimated to some extent how hard it was going to be going the rest of way to get to the limits of silicon if they stick to that. Yes, things have slowed down but for some they can point to lack of advances for speed while others can point to the lack of need and market for more speed and then others can bring up the economy.

Oddly enough no one complained about the pace of advances to systems before AMD was able to truly challenge Intel with the Athlon. When that race heated up, people got spoiled and now they're not accustomed to this suddenly "new" slow pace of advances.
CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 10:08:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capitalism pwns j00. Razz

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i just put aftershave on my nuts
CallaO
Killing Spree
Killing Spree

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 10:33:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloakedKilla wrote:
Capitalism pwns j00. Razz

Lol Razz

Fragman
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 11:47:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techslacker wrote:
Not true. Upping the cache offers little in the way of performance increases typically unless they also make low level changes to the cpu architecture to take advantage of it but it does depend on what the system will be doing. Cooling is always an issue but only in the scope of cost and the size and ventilation of the system.

There are many other advancements though that are being made to address this perceived holdup in performance. For starters multi-core cpu's are gaining ground. Features such as hyperthreading while not all that beneficial now will come into play more as systems and operating systems become more advanced to take advantage of it.

We might even see more in the way of things coming full circle like things typically do in the computer world. Back in '85 the world saw the Amiga computer with dedicated chips to offload tasks from the cpu. We may yet see more of this. nvidia and ati have already made strides in moving that direction as well as creative with audio. Cost is the issue here though.

Last but not least we have storage and access speeds. HD's are incredibly disappointing in speed when you compare the item to most other products in a computer system in how they've scaled in speed over the years.

All in all though the real trick is going to be increasing the perceived speed to where only the hardcore users will know with typical consumer hardware that the speed isn't where they want it to be. OS advances will play a role.

Back on the cpu front look for some breakthroughs to take place in getting a better handle on electrical leakage. There is still room to breathe but the manufacturers underestimated to some extent how hard it was going to be going the rest of way to get to the limits of silicon if they stick to that. Yes, things have slowed down but for some they can point to lack of advances for speed while others can point to the lack of need and market for more speed and then others can bring up the economy.

Oddly enough no one complained about the pace of advances to systems before AMD was able to truly challenge Intel with the Athlon. When that race heated up, people got spoiled and now they're not accustomed to this suddenly "new" slow pace of advances.

amen! I'll leave the explanation posts to you guys with the attention span that's worthy enough to take the time and type it, cause I sure as hell don't have that focus.... heh Razz

rontu88@hotmail.com
X3
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2005 07:04:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since you're a slackware user... i believe slackware can run UT pretty fine
Fragman
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2005 03:20:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I been seeing and hearing, all the distros are doing a fine job running UT

rontu88@hotmail.com
CallaO
Killing Spree
Killing Spree

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2005 07:20:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I've got WindowsXP-SP2 and my UT works fine Smile

Forum index » UT Gaming » UT Archives » UT Chat

Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]
Goto page:  Previous  1, 2