UTGamers.com Forum Index

ack! issues!
Moderators:  UTG Mods
Goto page:  1, 2 Next
Forum index » UT Gaming » UT Archives » UT Chat
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 03:12:47 am    Post subject: ack! issues! Reply with quote

well, i tried to get ut99 working on my machine again, but it is proving harder than expected Sad i actually got in a server, but it pretty much sucks. every few seconds ut grinds to a halt for 2-3 seconds and then picks back up. it's not a network related issue, but instead looks to be some sort of software or settings issue confused

anyone had similar problems after trying to install the old software after using ut2k* for a while?

My heroes have always been cowboys.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave... and keep on thinking free

The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.
Andromeda
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 03:18:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that problem when I tried playing UT on a laptop. In local games it played smooth, but when I tried to play internet games, the game would freeze every two seconds. Never could figure out why.

--
Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 03:48:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it sucks Sad it has to be an issue with new directx or new drivers, since it used to work just fine on the same hardware before Crying

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave... and keep on thinking free

JinStarwnd
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 04:01:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was getting that...all i did was do the simple whole system shutdown, then turn on router...wait 5 minutes, turn on modem 5 more mins...then turn on comp...worked perfectly
lips sealed
Techslacker
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 04:11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running WinXPsp2? I've not heard anything yet on UT99 but sp2 has caused some crazy stuff for some on older apps.
Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 04:26:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techslacker wrote:
Are you running WinXPsp2? I've not heard anything yet on UT99 but sp2 has caused some crazy stuff for some on older apps.

for windows, i still run good ol' win98se Razz like i said, it's the SAME machine (except for a directx update, and perhaps 2 driver updates -- both forced because of ut2k*) that used to run it just fine long, long ago.

Fragman
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 10:43:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always run well for me having a TI4600 no matter what OS/SP. UNTIL the Nvidia 71.84 patch.. now it crashes in the precache state, ALWAYS.... Confused

rontu88@hotmail.com
Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 06:09:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fragman wrote:
It's always run well for me having a TI4600 no matter what OS/SP. UNTIL the Nvidia 71.84 patch.. now it crashes in the precache state, ALWAYS.... Confused

i was getting that (i had my old install backed up on my local fileserver and i just tried to use it, copied the exact files that used to work)... then i started over from scratch, with a fresh clean install (well, not totally fresh -- the last time i installed ut i installed it and patched it before i even started it, then burned those files to cd -- so i wouldn't have to go through the whole installation process again, but i digress) and now it starts up. *BUT* changing video settings (like resolution) takes *FOREVER* with the game pretty much freezing for 30 seconds or more until the new setting kicks in. i tried to change color depth from 16bit to 32bit, but it simply froze and i gave up after several mins of waiting. i also tried to use my old user and ut ini files from my old install, but when using those it froze as you describe above. so i went back to suing the default ini files (if this is the cause, then a shortcut is for you to just delete your unrealtournament.ini and user.ini file -- or rename them -- and it'll create new ones, might help get started instead of reinstalling?).

but then of course, once i was actually in the game it freezes up like crazy... very annoying.

Fragman
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 06:35:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya that's what I did. Rarred my installed dir up and fit it on 2cd's never ever did a reinstall though because I was lucky to have it work as is.... I was going to do what u suggested when it started crashing but just lost interest... maybe I will go for it and do a reinstall over the non reg'd copy also. I'm sure it will work fine just some tweaking. Never had the game crash/freeze like you though.... and hopefully I won't get it... BTW if anyones looking for some maps I have about 500 CTF..... Cool

rontu88@hotmail.com
CallaO
Killing Spree
Killing Spree

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 07:10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blutarsky wrote:
Fragman wrote:

i was getting that (i had my old install backed up on my local fileserver and i just tried to use it, copied the exact files that used to work)... then i started over from scratch, with a fresh clean install (well, not totally fresh -- the last time i installed ut i installed it and patched it before i even started it, then burned those files to cd -- so i wouldn't have to go through the whole installation process again, but i digress) and now it starts up. *BUT* changing video settings (like resolution) takes *FOREVER* with the game pretty much freezing for 30 seconds or more until the new setting kicks in. i tried to change color depth from 16bit to 32bit, but it simply froze and i gave up after several mins of waiting. i also tried to use my old user and ut ini files from my old install, but when using those it froze as you describe above. so i went back to suing the default ini files (if this is the cause, then a shortcut is for you to just delete your unrealtournament.ini and user.ini file -- or rename them -- and it'll create new ones, might help get started instead of reinstalling?).

but then of course, once i was actually in the game it freezes up like crazy... very annoying.

Hmm...Try restarting PC and close everything down except your internet and UT...of course....if that dont work....thn change the driver in safe mode and check or uncheck(I dunno which)the unneccesery things(like sound and run it in a window)

If that dont work well...then im stumped Rolling Eyes

Admit it,admit that I owned you

Fragman
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 07:24:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just code written in older version compatibilty for vid cards and directx etc... not much can be done truly, luck is the key.... newer isn't always backwards compatible.... Wink

rontu88@hotmail.com
CallaO
Killing Spree
Killing Spree

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 07:25:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fragman wrote:
it's just code written in older version compatibilty for vid cards and directx etc... not much can be done truly, luck is the key.... newer isn't always backwards compatible.... Wink

You mean its an old code and cant be compatibill for video cards?

Fragman
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 07:29:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well in general I think the new hardware is changing so much they are forgetting about older coded stuff or its getting out of reach so to speak...

rontu88@hotmail.com
CallaO
Killing Spree
Killing Spree

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 07:31:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have forgotten about the old hardware! Razz

Fragman
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2005 07:53:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CallaO wrote:
People have forgotten about the old hardware! Razz

and software..... but it's time for change... pc's have been laggin in production lately... and now there's gonna be a big gold rush again like the millenium turn.... the pace has slowed down imo... needs a kick in the assssskyalater. heh
money grubbin whores..... its like comparing 333 ram --> 400 ram theres hardley a difference, but people who went throught the 333 phase upgraded boards and went 400... Confused Confused dollars dollars!

rontu88@hotmail.com
Forum index » UT Gaming » UT Archives » UT Chat

Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]
Goto page:  1, 2 Next