UTGamers.com Forum Index

have you seen this yet??
Moderators:  UTG Mods
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Forum index » UT Gaming » UT Archives » UT2004 Chat
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
}D{CRaZy)-(R]
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2005 09:32:13 am    Post subject: have you seen this yet?? Reply with quote

the new logo for the revamp on the old ut99

here are some screenys of the weapons ..
http://utr.unrealfans.com/media.php

XFIRE CONTACT:casshern
Undaunted
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2005 01:07:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a mod

2k3 > 2k4

The world is small nasty and complicated and everybody dies alone
UTJunkie
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2005 02:27:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I quit playing this game.

[] One Name, One Legend.
}D{CRaZy)-(R]
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2005 04:55:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a mod ..like CS.S is..
they're just usin the ut2k4 engine and kinda porting things over...
alot of the things you could do in ut 99 you should be able to do in this one from what i've read..
it's like givin the old version a face lift..like CS source did with the new HL2 engine...

CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2005 04:57:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source has an entire new physics engine...

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i just put aftershave on my nuts
}D{CRaZy)-(R]
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2005 05:11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cs.source is usin the HL2 engine just like they used the same engine as halflife one..which if i remember was the doom engine...it's open source so i'm sure physics are changed for the game ..just like they were for Red Orchestra usin the 2k4 engine..it's all open source...i just hope they do as good of a job as the people did with CS...

if you're sayin they didn't port the old CS into the new engin...not sure if they could really since HL2 has it's own engine this time...

eitherway ..i just hope they make ut fun again is all i'm lookin for...

}D{CRaZy)-(R]
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2005 09:08:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UTJunkie wrote:

bout time for a name change huh Laughing
just kiddin bro

UTJunkie
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2005 11:25:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

}D{CRaZy)-(R] wrote:
UTJunkie wrote:

bout time for a name change huh Laughing
just kiddin bro

most people call me junkie now anyway.

[] One Name, One Legend.
Cloud Strife
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2005 11:32:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just "Junk"? Laughing Wink

}D{CRaZy)-(R]
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2005 02:13:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is more stuff i have been reading over at the atari forums...
this thing is gonna be as clost to UT as ever..not the zp ut but the non zp...here are some quotes and more screenys from the makers of this mod and from people asking questions...

========================================================
Quote:
Originally posted by {BL}Beerserker
The UTR website received 2000 hits on one day alone. I think you're wrong. There is a large portion of the community who wanted UT200x to be more like the original but with the better engine etc. This is their opportunity to see it happen.
1kind: There will be a public beta released within the next month or so if all goes well, there will be plenty of opportunity for people to help. Smile

======================================================

Quote:
Originally posted by {BL}Berserker
This should be clarified.. Some old content will be used, but if it is used it will be used in somewhat of an updated fashion, for instance the 'original weapon models' you see are actually the 1st person weapons from UT which were more highly detailed than the 3rd person.. 1st person models in UTR will be completely new models with much higher detail and on par with 2004 in terms of polys.

Quote:
iron12: yes the player models will be UT scale.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Pulse
100%. Remaking the maps, Weapons, Models, all of it.

Quote:
This should be clarified.. Some old content will be used, but if it is used it will be used in somewhat of an updated fashion, for instance the 'original weapon models' you see are actually the 1st person weapons from UT which were more highly detailed than the 3rd person.. 1st person models in UTR will be completely new models with much higher detail and on par with 2004 in terms of polys.

Quote:
Originally posted by SealClubber
Will you make instagib the exact way it was in UT!? with the thick beam and slightly delayed shot????
I will love you forever! Very Happy

==========
Quote:
psycho: everything is being considered, however bot customization isn't the largest emphasis at this time, so if it is to come it will be after the core gameplay is taken care of. as for the way weapons behave (headshot areas and such) we want to make this as similar to UT as possible of course.

==================================================

Quote:
whatever you can do to bots in 2k4 you should be able to do here also - including that, staring at the female bots' T&A, and such.
another perk of this mod, it'll be like playing UT with the AI of the 2k4 bots.. besides looking a hell of a lot better.
on another note, you've been begging for something new to see, so.. here's a sneak peek at one of the new first person weap models:

============
Quote:
Originally posted by Daspadger
Oh noes, I just shat my pants. Sad

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SealClubber
Quote:
Originally posted by psychopath666
[B]
Has there been a consensus yet as to the headshot range? I seem to recall that it was being debated. Some people wanted it to be 2k4 styel while others wanted it to be ut99 style...(ut99 for me! 'cuz i'm a bad shot!)
The headshot range should at least be alot clearer with this mod since all of the models were pretty straight forward.

=============
Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Pulse
The current "Official" Poll as of this post is 12-7 in favor of the UT99 Headshot Area (Top 1/3 of the model) as opposed to the UT2004 Method (Actual skeletal hit detection).

Quote:
Originally posted by Posiedon
Sory about the lack of comments from UTR members recently in this thread....
(And yes, i am a UTR member. The one who took the screenshots. Very Happy)
To Seal: We have the Instagib shooting like it should, and I have the ESR 3rd person model imported and skinned and sexy. First person and the beam effect are in progress, but are planned. Also, team instagib color beams are included by default.

About the models - the 3rd person completed models have as many and in a few cases more polys than the 2k4 3rd person models. We have a few 1st person models detailed, but none are rigged up for animation yet. The polycount is again, comparable to the 2k4 models. The flack cannon shot above doesent do the models justice, as the skin on it is a 3rd person skin at 512x512. When its done, the skin will be 4x the size, at 1024x1024.

About Bots: if I have any say in it, Loque will be back. Right now we havent gotten any work in on secondary things like bot customization, we are working on gameplay elments and a Uwindows-like GUI.

Lastly, abot maps: We want them to look good, but not good liek 2k4 good. We want to make them visually enticing without cluttering them up with an excessive amount of meshes. The textures will try to be evocative of Classic UT, with some GOTY editon textures used, some of which weigh in at 2048x2048. The im is to bring the graphics up to the current visual standard, but keep teh UT classic feeling.

=============================
Quote:
Originally posted by psychopath666
A thousand Gods across a thousand belief systems and across a hundred worlds have smiled upon me!

Quote:
The project started out as a map pack and a weapons replacer mutator... and its so much farther than that right now. When the mod is done, we *may* release the mutator separately for those of you who dont want to lose your double jump, or your terrible character scaling... or your lightning gun.

I hate to dissapoint, AEnubis, but the mini and the shield belt are back.
About the characters: Yes, they shall make a triumphant return. We are goign to be "Polybeefing" the old models. By this I mean working from the skin backwards and making a model out of it, so that you get all of the 3d detail that the character was mean to to have, but you remain true to the original character. Once the model is done, we take the 256x256 skins and make them 1024x1024. And yes, Radkin will be back. And Loque Razz

Maybe the thread is about the wallpaper, but youre getting a lot more (information) than just about a wallpaper. Depending on what happens, you may get screenshots.

Quote:
Originally posted by PetitHarrier
I find it amusing that people complain about 'clutter' on maps. "There is too much garbage on maps" they say. What the hell do they want? Featureless rooms and hallways? Why even have 'minor' features? After all these people seem intent on focusing on 'the gameplay' so half a*s*s*ing it seems rather pointless.

But that is just me. I've played all three versions and 2K4 is by far the best. I've tried to play '99 since going to 2K4 and it's just painful. I have nothing but love for the game for what it did and what it created, but it's [B]time to move on.
The future is now. Sad

HOWEVER! My personal feelings aside, I wish you luck on your mod, it's my belief that people should be encouraged to be as creative as possible. Why not? Everything people do to add to this game just makes it better. [/B]

========================
Quote:
I believe that maps can look nice without being filled with static meshes. You may not call teh game cluttered, but look at these screenshots of de_Aztec from Cs:s and try to tell me that they are not dead sexy, and try and tell me that they are hugely polygon intensive. If you compare the following two shots with say... DM-Gael, you wil find out why people call the 2k4 maps cluttered.

[screenshot]http://img46.exs.cx/img46/1064/deaztec00067pe.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://img98.exs.cx/img98/2996/deaztec00059ll.jpg[/screenshot]

Now would'n't it be nice to have all that room to move?

====================
Quote:
Originally posted by Ticklemonster
2k4 has stuff there just to have it there. I can see peripheral stuff like furniture and stuff, and windows, etc., but a lot of dangling garbage and crap, I mean really. And the walls all have an immense amount of garbage on them, cluttering up the view and making it hard for old blindtards like myself to see stuff well.

================
Quote:
Originally posted by Stemcel
Yea, some 2k4 maps get cluttered for sure but those pics ^ YAWN.

========================
Quote:
Originally posted by Ticklemonster
Looks like a killing field to me.

I play to play, not swish around in a skirt looking at all the pretty things. Let the kids and women folk play that crap, give me a clean environment to do some looting and shooting and some prowling and growling.

===================
Quote:
The point is most people prefer to play games that aren't full of pointless distractions that just bog your system down and don't serve any real purpose. I can see things being put in for authenticity but it has to be done in moderation. the real advantage in 2k4 is not that you can add 1000's of polygons, just because you CAN do something does not mean you should. The advantage is in being able to make things more detailed, in a way that enhances the original content, which I feel looked much darker and sometimes even creepy to play.. the added effects, the better netplay, better AI.

Whether you find the mod pointless is irrelevant, just look at the excitement of many people here, and I don't even need to give you a reason.. so it's amusing for people to try to play the devil's advocate. It's as if you don't want the communities to come together? Maybe you should go play quake if you have the time to bother discouraging people from staying true to the legacy of the name UT. And I say all this without saying "I hate 2k4", because I don't, none of us do, we ARE however dissappointed Epic chose this direction. And perhaps this mod will be successful enough to convince them to create something that will appeal to fans of both, and give them some pointers on how it should be done Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Selerox
OMFG YES! Smile

If this works out then it'll be... be... <faints>

===================

Quote:
Originally posted by MonkeyPudge
I don't understand why anyone would whinge about this mod. It's UT in 2k4 engine, better visuals, same gameplay. I'd MUCH rather play UTR than UT'99.

And let me add, I wasn't disappointed in 2k4's direction, but I was disgusted at 2k3's. UT2004 I think lived up to the original, but this mod is something DIFFERENT (quite ironic since it's UT'99), as in it's a unique sort of mod for 2004, and something that will allow me to play good old fashioned UT alot more, because the way things are looking, it will be alot more popular online.

Wouldn't all of you rather play UT'99 with better textures and models, without a change in gameplay?

(I want the beta NOW!) :noob:

Quote:
Originally posted by nightstormer
I think this mod is going to be awesome. I still love to go back and play UT. It is just gut wrenching, adrenaline flowing fun, and the feel and flow of the game is second to none (wow, im a poet and didn't know it!). I've been running a UTGOTY server since April 2002, and it still runs quietly aside my other 2 servers (both UT2004). It doesn't get much play anymore, but when we all decide to jump on it for some instagib goodness, I get that old heart twinge of affection all over again. UTGOTY rocks, and if this mod rocks, I'll finally retire the old battle axe and run a UTR server forever and ever, amen. Very Happy

Quote:
Originally posted by nightstormer
Also, a question to the mod developers:

Are you guys going to concentrate on one gametype at first, or are you going to do the entire game? The reason I ask is that not many people really played (or currently play at all) gametypes like AS or DOM in UT99, and it might be alot of work for nothing.

An idea for you: You could make the mod initially as the core game files/textures/etc. + one gametype, i.e. Deathmatch. That would give the mod, the gametype, and all the maps and files needed to get up and running. You could have future modules like CTF, etc. down the road. That would let you concentrate on getting the mod out quicker, and being able to expand upon it later as well.

==============================
Quote:
If you Really want to see a good example of what I personally am aiming for in my remakes, the look at DM-Grendelkeep. It has enough staticmeshing to look nice in a quiet sort of way. There are really very few static meshes. The walls and floors are not solid unbroken sheets, yet they are not encrusted with meshes. Much of the lighting is white, but it was skillfully applied to look good anyway.
Maps like this on the other hand, scream clutter.

Psycho has it just right on what we want to do. in terms of staticmeshing. Im not going to put any wall apnels on Phobos (thats actually one of the ones I'm working on currently) but sheets beccome staticmeshes, jsut like some repeated detail geometry, since static meshes take less effort to render than BSP.

Nightstormer - we are initally releasing all of the gametypes with the first full release of UTR, but most likely not wiht the beta. At the minimum, CTF and DM will be included in the beta. We will release a few maps for each with every following release. Since there were a lot of maps in Clasic UT, its gonna be a lot of work, and here is one place where the community can help: when the mod is first released, you can work on your own remakes. If they are good enough, they might just become official.
Another place we ask the community to help is with gameplay choices, for example: Should we keep the UT2004 system of objectives in AS, with HUD indicators and sprites, with the points reward shared? We make the mod, but you decide how it's made.

Quote:
gametypes that have been redone already will be adjusted to behave closer to UT than 2k4, but if there are enhancements we can all agree are a definite improvement, they will stay. as such the end result is that it would be as though the original UT was continuing to receive support and patches, this keeps the game fresh and gives people all the more reason to try it.

so now's the time to speak up if you want something from 2k4 to make it through here, or even any other general ideas you have to improve gameplay which wouldn't be too difficult to do.

=================================

Quote:
gametypes that have been redone already will be adjusted to behave closer to UT than 2k4, but if there are enhancements we can all agree are a definite improvement, they will stay. as such the end result is that it would be as though the original UT was continuing to receive support and patches, this keeps the game fresh and gives people all the more reason to try it.

so now's the time to speak up if you want something from 2k4 to make it through here, or even any other general ideas you have to improve gameplay which wouldn't be too difficult to do.

====================================

Quote:
Originally posted by tarnationsauce2
Nothing like running up to a mirror and giving yourself a good pelvic thrust. haha Very Happy

I map for UT because UT is what I like.
I would map for 2k4, but why map for a game Idon't like or play? I might as well map for Farcry then. :rolleyes:
But for UTR, I will start mapping for it for sure. If UTR does what we all hopes it does.

Well thats all that was at atari so far..i'll keep ya updated..but so far..it sounds sweet to me Very Happy

Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2005 04:58:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know some people might be cynical or perhaps not see a use in the mod, but i'm actually pretty excited to see if they can pull it off (and do it well). if it will play like the old ut99, then i'll probably play it (and maybe even setup a server with it).

anyway, it could be pretty cool.... if it ever does come to fruition.

My heroes have always been cowboys.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave... and keep on thinking free

The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.
}D{CRaZy)-(R]
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2005 06:00:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mod will be done by this summer..and a demo of the mod should be out st the end of this month or sometime in feb...

it won't have all the features of ut99 in it yet..but it should give us a good taste of what these guys are doing with it...i'm excited with everything i've heard them talk about so far...
i know the game play of ut was very important to them...
and all the maps and skins are being remade and not ported..so it'll be like looking at a ut99 with killer graphics...
also they are saying that since alot of usless static meshes won't be used in the ut99 maps compared to all the useless eye candy in 2k4..we should get some really sweet frames to boot.. and some battle ground or room to move around instead of sticking to every pipe or beam that gets in the way

i'll keep posting updates as i get them.... Wink

CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2005 08:45:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea, but from that screenshot, the gun looks like ass. It takes up like 1/3 of the entire screen. Confused

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i just put aftershave on my nuts
Mizery
Rampage
Rampage

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2005 09:13:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ In that case, UT looks like ass. That isn't the actual HUD. That gun was placed in that picture, duh.

-Jon Wieronski
HarryBalls
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2005 10:01:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloakedKilla wrote:
It's a good idea, but from that screenshot, the gun looks like ass. It takes up like 1/3 of the entire screen. Confused

Look Cloaked, I think you're a bright kid. But I think if you knew the amount of work it takes to produce what these guys are putting out for free, you would realize that your comments come across as disrespectful and rude. Sure the gun needs some polishing, but by no means does it look like ass.

It just seems likes your off the cuff critiques are out of balance. Try finding something positive to note.

'HarryBalls
Forum index » UT Gaming » UT Archives » UT2004 Chat

Page 1 of 4 [51 Posts]
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4 Next