Moderators:  UTG Mods
Goto page:  Previous  1, 2
Forum index » General Public » Polls
Reply to topic
Stihl
Killing Spree
Killing Spree

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2005 06:09:47 am    Post subject: Ty Reply with quote

Thank you, am looking them up on Google right now.

CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2005 02:13:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, those were all tutorials telling you how to burn and them rip them. From reading, it looks like iTunes is the only program that can do it. Confused

If you're using iTunes though, I don't think this will be a major setback. Smile

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i just put aftershave on my nuts
Techslacker
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2005 06:08:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry been away for a bit but, yes, apple uses their own drm to only allow itunes to play purchased music. There is a way to rip that drm out after you've purchased it but the format is still not mp3 so you'd have to have a player that can play aac music which has a few different extensions.

Now, of couse, you can burn to cd and rip to mp3 or there are methods to convert to mp3 without the hassle of burning and ripping but when you do that you lose quality since mp3 is a lossy format for storing music.

Now for those who argue for napster or almost any other non-itunes service keep a few things in mind. One, unless you figure out a way to rip their drm out(usually MS's), all of that music will no longer play once you quit your subscription. This could be hundreds or thousands of songs that instantly are worthless. Second, and this is the biggest reason why itunes is so much more popular than these others is that the MS based drm music will not play on Apple's ipod which holds like 80% give or take of the market.

There are plus's and minuses going either way. It mostly depends on your needs and desires. I view Apple's method as the better way to go. The ipods are very nice players and with itunes I get to own my music. If I, for some reason, don't have money for one month to subscribe, I don't lose that music.
CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2005 06:24:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ironic that none of this exists when you download music illegally. It is now easier to illegally obtain music than it is to do it legally. Great going, Apple!

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
Raven-MOK
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2005 07:30:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple!?

<yoda>much misplaced anger i sense in you</yoda>

I didn't realize apple was the organization suing folks for downloading music...
Raven-MOK
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2005 07:36:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techslacker wrote:
Sorry been away for a bit but, yes, apple uses their own drm to only allow itunes to play purchased music.

not so sure about that statement, there. I have plenty of mp3s that are either ripped from a CD or obtained from *other sources* that play just fine.
CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2005 07:36:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're the ones implementing all of these "security" features though.

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
Raven-MOK
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2005 07:43:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloakedKilla wrote:

oh boy, that's some bent logic there.

first, napster has their own drm, so does mmjb and realmusic, ms and anyone else i might have missed. read above to see that what those monthly sub. sites do to your music when you stop paying the fee.

second, they /all/ have drm because riaa would sue their asses off if there wasn't a way for riaa to make some money. all of these drm features are implemented for this very reason. well... and because MS is involved too... read into the x-box 360 and the ms vision for a fully integrated media/entertainment center.
Techslacker
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2005 05:02:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven-MOK wrote:
Techslacker wrote:
Sorry been away for a bit but, yes, apple uses their own drm to only allow itunes to play purchased music.

not so sure about that statement, there. I have plenty of mp3s that are either ripped from a CD or obtained from *other sources* that play just fine.

I was referring to their purchased music. The only way to use another player is to get one that will tap into quicktime. Real did this at one point but I'm not sure if Apple made changes so that they couldn't any longer.

Note there is software out there that will rip the drm out of Apple's music. Once you do this you can use other software like Winamp to play them then.

itunes will play other audio formats like mp3's and a few others with no problem as long as there is not any other sorta drm in the file format.

Last edited by Techslacker on 12 Jun 2005 05:10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Techslacker
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2005 05:09:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven-MOK wrote:
CloakedKilla wrote:

oh boy, that's some bent logic there.

first, napster has their own drm, so does mmjb and realmusic, ms and anyone else i might have missed. read above to see that what those monthly sub. sites do to your music when you stop paying the fee.

second, they /all/ have drm because riaa would sue their asses off if there wasn't a way for riaa to make some money. all of these drm features are implemented for this very reason. well... and because MS is involved too... read into the x-box 360 and the ms vision for a fully integrated media/entertainment center.

Raven is correct. Apple has actually had other features in their itunes software that were quite nice to have for streaming across the internet and such but riaa and co. knocked on their door and had a chat with them about removing it.

For what it's worth purchasing music at Apple's itunes store can't get much easier. The search function is very nice and you don't have to wade through a ton of screens to get your music. The only problem I find with Apple's system is that the library while being the largest of all of the legal sellers still needs some growing. This isn't even all of their fault as they have to go through a ton of red tape just to get certain songs on their site. Some bands and musicians don't like the idea of only selling singles. They want people to buy their whole album/cd.
HackerGDI
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006 03:28:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i gave in since i there are 5 songs i really want so i broke down and signed up to itunes. I know this is out dated but heres the easiest way to convert mpeg4 format to mp3

Here's an easy way to convert that file of yours.
All you do is go into iTunes;
Go to Edit, Preferences
Click on the Importing tab
Under "Import Using," select MP3 Encoder
Hit OK
Next, right click on whatever song you want to convert (I usually create a playlist of the songs that I want to import onto my PDA, then just go into the playlist and select them all)
Then Left click on Convert Selected to MP3

Now i can jam in my car Smile
Forum index » General Public » Polls

Page 2 of 2 [26 Posts]
Goto page:  Previous  1, 2