UTGamers.com Forum Index

connecting to a server thru a router?
Moderators:  UTG Mods
Forum index » General Public » Help & Support » Gaming » UT/UT2003/UT2004
Reply to topic
WK
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2005 07:56:16 pm    Post subject: connecting to a server thru a router? Reply with quote

got a problem. i have started to play UT2k4 on a LAN set up at work during my lunch breaks. i would like to be able to join the server from my house but i dont know how to get past the router box?? 192.168.1.xx is the router ip and the extensions are based off that. i know it can be done cas someone from my old clan NRW was able to join once with us a long time ago but i have no idea how he did it.

You know Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump. Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and he won a ping-pong competition? That ain’t retarded.

You went full retard, man. Never go full retard.
HackerGDI
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2005 10:07:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what router you using? you can forward the internal ip to the ip from the isp and be able to connect, that away you can keep the security of the router and be able to host. NAT forwarding i think is the termnology

PERverSIAN wrote:
sometimes i think punching myself in the junk would feel better than replying back.
Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2005 10:36:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it's nat/port forwarding -- most call it port forwarding. just to be clear, this is on the server-side, that the machine you're hosting from is inside the local net.

you need to find out what the internal ip for the server machine is (192.168.1.x). it's entirely possible that the machine is setup currently to get its internal ip via dhcp, so it could change. ideally, you'd want to set that machine up to always get the same static ip so that you'll not have to change the port forwarding ip if it does change. then you need to setup port forwarding to that internal ip for the ut server port(s). in setting it up, you shouldn't have to enter the "real world" ip, as it's the ip of the router itself, so you enter the internal ip of the server machine and tell it which ports to forward to it. in essence, it takes any traffic directed at those ports on the real world ip (the router) and sends them to the internal ip, so for those ports, it's like that machine is on the outside net. more or less.

ports you'll need to forward follow:

http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55
Quote:
7777 UDP/IP (Game Port)
7778 UDP/IP (Query Port)
7787 UDP/IP (GameSpy Query Port)
28902 TCP/IP (Allows your Server to Connect to the UT2004 Master Server Browser)
xxxx TCP/IP (Port set via ListenPort that your WebAdmin will run on)

My heroes have always been cowboys.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave... and keep on thinking free

The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.
ZERO
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2005 01:33:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys...the machine does have a static IP, all the computers in the office do.

i saw that i had to set the ServerBehindNAT value to true, but i don't really understand what to do with the 7777, 7778, etc. do i need to enter those in the INI somewhere?

what we're wanting to do is set up the server so friends that aren't in teh office can join, but we don't want people to be able to find the server off of gamespy. we deffinatly don't have the bandwidth to host that. will this allow us to set this up so we can give out the IP address to friends, but the server won't be visable on gamespy? i guess we could always password protect it if that isn't possible.

thanks for all the help.

Cool

ZERO

CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2005 03:38:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure there's an option to not advertise the server.

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i just put aftershave on my nuts
Blutarsky
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2005 06:20:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to have your router forward the first ports (7777 and 7778) in order for people outside the local lan to access the server. but there is an ini change if you don't want it advertised, which i don't recall right now.

My heroes have always been cowboys.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave... and keep on thinking free

The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.
ZERO
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2005 07:07:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kk...WK & i will give it a shot. see if we can get this figured out. i guess worst case scenario we just PW protect it and it won't matter if it's advertised or not.

Cool

ZERO

Forum index » General Public » Help & Support » Gaming » UT/UT2003/UT2004

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]