80%  [ 16 ]
Doom3
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

HackerGDI
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2004 10:32:52 pm    Post subject: Gaming Engine: Who is better? Reply with quote

Now that you have had a chance to see the Doom3 gaming engine and the Half Life 2 engine based on gameplay, graphics, movement, etc and NOT story line who has the best game engine?

Here is a site of HL2 text on Doom3 engine (tweaked)
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=64270&sid=3ff42dfddc0d2de21b0d04744eb4d465#64270

actually that link has some other links that show the doom3 textures on hl2 engine Smile

But if you find anything else please fill free to post.

PERverSIAN wrote:
sometimes i think punching myself in the junk would feel better than replying back.
CloakedKilla
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2004 11:35:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom 3 was fun for a while and the graphics were great, but it got old real fast. I have to wait until Christmas for HL2. Crying

dude
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i'm crying
Sephirrrrrrrrrroth says:
i just put aftershave on my nuts
HackerGDI
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2004 11:37:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL me too! I have the box here in the house! Crying

PERverSIAN wrote:
sometimes i think punching myself in the junk would feel better than replying back.
WK
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2004 11:51:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for graphics and lighting doom3 was far superior to HL2. HL2 had great maping and nice attention to detail, but it was on the same level grahpically as doom3.

now as far as game play... thats another story, HL2 was much more fun imo.

You know Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump. Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and he won a ping-pong competition? That ain’t retarded.

You went full retard, man. Never go full retard.
HackerGDI
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2004 02:42:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was into Quake2 then Q3 came out and i moved to UT but I am actually looking forward to Q4 this will show me how the Doom3 engine will be

PERverSIAN wrote:
}D{CRaZy)-(R]
Dominating
Dominating

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2004 03:08:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've heard that the game play as far as slowdowns and load times that HL2 was far better than the doom3 engine was..like in situations where there were wide open areas..being outside compared to in a room that HL2 played better in an outside type map than doom 3 did on an indoors map if...this is just from hearing different people talk that have gotten both games..it's not from any review or personel play...

XFIRE CONTACT:casshern
HackerGDI
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2004 03:15:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm hoping to play both games xmas break so I can make my personal judgement, but i think they are pretty close.... well see in the future how other games are running the engine.

PERverSIAN wrote:
ZERO
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2004 12:33:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WK wrote:
for graphics and lighting doom3 was far superior to HL2. HL2 had great maping and nice attention to detail, but it was on the same level grahpically as doom3.

now as far as game play... thats another story, HL2 was much more fun imo.

i agree w/ WK. doom3 for the most part was a better looking game. one thing that really impressed me about it was the lighting physics and the quality of modeling. however, those two alone do not a great game make. Confused

HL2 wasn't on the same level in graphics, but what it didn't have in complex modeling, it made up for with really nice mapping (textures and such) and a very ornate and complex environment. how cool is it to be able to walk through city17? not just walking down 1 hallway after another.

also the havoc engine (which supplied the physics for HL2) is great. most of the world is interactive in some way. you can pick up, move, throw, slide, use as a weapon, almost everything that isn't a fixed object (like a building or some other major component). i thought that was a really great move by valve.

i'm looking forward to seeing a game with the graphics of doom3, but the story, interactivity, and playability of HL2.

oh...one other thing. HL2 ran much better on my machine than doom3 did. i have an amd64 3200+ w/ 1GB of RAM and an ATI 9800XT video card. i was disapointed that doom was so topheavy that the framerates were pretty poor if you wanted to run it at a level where you could enjoy all the nice graphics, textures, and maps. i also tried the MP on doom3 once, it was bad news. framerates hit the toilet.

sooo...give the gift that keeps on giving this hoiday season, HL2.

Cool

ZERO

Sephiroth
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2005 03:50:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOOM 3 BLOWS

CloakedKilla wrote:
GMU national champs!!

Phy wrote:
Sephiroth was the most formidable griefer that I've ever seen. There can be only one, and he was it.

jesterx99 wrote:
35-7
ZERO
Unstoppable
Unstoppable

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2005 03:52:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sephiroth wrote:
DOOM 3 BLOWS

are you just now figuring this out?

Razz

ZERO

Forum index » General Public » Polls